Kitchen table workshop
Date: 15-18 July 2010
Location: Constant (backhouse) Rue du Fortstraat 5, Brussels
Participants: see list of confirmed participants here.
Active Archives worksessions
Active Archives is a project to make media archiving tools for cultural institutions. The emphasis is on tools and formats that support speading and reuse of the materials of an archive. This four-day worksession aims to further develop the Active Archive Video Wiki, a tool that is designed to break open the "black box" of online video and sound files. Users are encouraged to write with video, creating new compositions made from disparate (online) elements. The AA Video Wiki allows resources to remain "active", in-place and online.
Material to work with:
How can writing, reading and listening act as parallel but interacting tracks? How to provide forms of access that can go beyond findability and searchability? Since 1997, Sarma ("an artistic and discursive laboratory") documented numerous conversations and interviews with creators and critics in the field of dance and beyond. Starting from a selection of text- and sound files from their collection, we will use Active Archive Video Wiki and various related tools to test out ways to activate an archive (edit, subtitle, text, voice, metadata, transcription, annotation, tag, typography).
11:00-13:00 Timed text exercises
14:00-17:00 Timed text experiments
17:30-18:30 Reports, notes, response. Preparations for Friday's active code sessions
Friday July 16: Active Code
Core to the Active Archives project is the development of software to put into practice the project's goals. Rather than proposing a single monolithic application, AA aims to develop of a range of smaller software tools and plugins that work with other existing tools and established practices. All software from the project is released under a Free Software License, and made available via a subversion respository.
The second day of the AA worksession is devoted to the Active Archives Video Wiki. We'll engage in concrete testing, documenting, design and development sessions.
14:00-17:00 Workgroups (2/3 groups max)
Feel free to join #activearchives on irc.freenode.net!
- QNA (Madrid) (working with aa system)
- Curation (Annotation within aaa system)
- SRT Hacking
- Embedding, Linking with existing CMS/website structures
- Test AA Video Wiki with vj12 material
- Documentation: how to install AA Video Wiki
- Indexation, keywording, metadata, semantics
- What plugins, connections to other systems
- Templates and outputs (design, interface, framework)
17:30-18:30 Reports, notes, response. Planning development for Saturday + Sunday.
Saturday July 17: Kitchen table
14:00-15:30 Kitchen table presentations
Short informal presentations. Artists, developers and others interested in (re)working audio and video archives present projects in process.
- Nicolas Malevé: Active Archives Manifesto
- Michael Murtaugh: Active Archives Video Wiki
- Sam Coppens: The Archipel framework
- Myriam Van Imschoot: Crash Landing Revisited
16:00-18:00 Kitchen table presentations part II
- Marina Vishmidt: Cinenova
- An Mertens, Peter Westenberg: Schaerbeekse Taal / La Langue Schaerbeekoise
- Ivan Monroy Lopez git2print.git
- Stéphanie Vilayphiou and Alexandre Leray: Brainch & Else If
- Active Archive Collective Presentation
Sunday July 18
14:00-15:00 Internal evaluation, planning 2010-2011